April 8-24, 2016
North Carolina Statewide Star Party
Call for Event Hosts for the 2016 Statewide Star Party
We are seeking event hosts for the 4th annual North Carolina Statewide Star Party, a signature event of the 2016 North Carolina Science Festival. The Statewide Star Party will be held April 8 and April 9, 2016. This year’s theme is Find Your Way in the Sky.
We will select hosts who are committed to putting on a successful skywatching event for the public and who, collectively, can engage a geographically diverse set of visitors across North Carolina. We encourage potential hosts with venues in close proximity to consider collaborating on a single event.
Requirements to be a Star Party host:
- Your event must have the support of your organization’s administration.
- Your event must be scheduled for one of the official 2016 Star Party dates: Friday, April 8, 2016, or Saturday, April 9, 2016. A rain date, or an indoor rain plan, is encouraged but not mandatory.
- Your event must be open to the public. Free events are encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Your event includes a significant skywatching component involving the real sky. No planetarium-only events, except in case of rain. Events may take place during the daytime (with solar observing) or at night.
- Your organization supplies the venue and staffing, including astronomers. (The Star Party Coordinators can help you identify local amateur astronomers to partner with.)
- You commit to trying out in advance the educational activities in the Star Party kit, which will be supplied by the Star Party Coordinators, and to using 3 or more activities (out of at least six) at your event.
- You commit to recruiting and training staff and volunteers to work at your event, including how to lead kit activities.
- You agree to pass along communications from the Star Party Coordinators to everyone working the event.
- You agree to send your attendance data after your event.
The North Carolina Science Festival and Statewide Star Party will:
- Provide hosts with a free Star Party kit with educational activities to engage visitors on the theme of “Find Your Way in the Sky.”
- Provide training on kit activities via a webinar as well as an invitation to in-person training.
- Promote events on the Festival website as part of the Festival’s online calendar
- Provide hosts with North Carolina Science Festival branding tools, such as event signage, advertising templates and the North Carolina Science Festival logo for use with print and electronic marketing efforts.
- Create a unique URL for hosts to use to promote the event within their community.
You can apply to be a Star Party event host from November 9 through December 7, 2015. We will be in touch with all applicants by December 15, 2015.
To apply to be an event host for the 2016 Statewide Star Party, click here http://reg.abcsignup.com/reg/event_page.aspx?ek=0003-0011-979F646D8733410EBE9DF8B8520BB064
This 21-second time-lapse video shows an example of an entire event, start to finish. (Credit: Joe Pedit, used with permission)
Wondering what materials and activities you will receive as an official Star Party host? Here are last year’s kit materials:
2015 Star Party kit materials for event hosts
- Statewide Star Party poster
- Star chart for April 2015
- Tips for hosting a successful skywatching session
- Web resources
- Activity: Celestial treasure hunt
- Activity: Create a solar system
- Activity: Pocket solar system
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 1 (instructions)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 2 (interpretive cards)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 3 (ticket on Proxima Centauri airlines)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 4 (handouts for visitors)