April 8-24, 2016
North Carolina Statewide Star Party
You’re invited to look into the universe during the third annual North Carolina Statewide Star Party, a signature event of the North Carolina Science Festival.
On April 24 and April 25, 2015, astronomy clubs, state and local parks, planetariums and nature centers will host public skywatching sessions at dozens of sites across North Carolina. These are family-friendly events. Most events are free; a few require advance registration.
The focus for the 2015 Statewide Star Party is “Our Solar System.” At the skywatching events, guests can expect to observe a variety of celestial objects, both inside and outside our solar system. Host sites provide the telescopes, staffing and activities; guests provide the curiosity!
This 21-second time-lapse video shows an example of an entire event, start to finish. (Credit: Joe Pedit, used with permission)
Thanks to generous support for the North Carolina Statewide Star Party provided by NC Space Grant, we are able to provide each official Statewide Star Party event host with training and a kit of activities and resources.
Interested in attending a Statewide Star Party event? Check the Festival calendar to find an event near you. The calendar is updated with new events each week!
Interested in hosting a Statewide Star Party event? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Star Party kit materials for event hosts
- Statewide Star Party poster
- Star chart for April 2015
- Tips for hosting a successful skywatching session
- Web resources
- Activity: Celestial treasure hunt
- Activity: Create a solar system
- Activity: Pocket solar system
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 1 (instructions)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 2 (interpretive cards)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 3 (ticket on Proxima Centauri airlines)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 4 (handouts for visitors)