April 8-24, 2016
North Carolina Statewide Star Party
*The application period for being a 2016 Statewide Star Party host has closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Statewide Star Party will be held April 8 and April 9, 2016. This year’s theme is Find Your Way in the Sky.
Requirements to be a Star Party host:
- Your event must have the support of your organization’s administration.
- Your event must be scheduled for one of the official 2016 Star Party dates: Friday, April 8, 2016, or Saturday, April 9, 2016. A rain date, or an indoor rain plan, is encouraged but not mandatory.
- Your event must be open to the public. Free events are encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Your event includes a significant skywatching component involving the real sky. No planetarium-only events, except in case of rain. Events may take place during the daytime (with solar observing) or at night.
- Your organization supplies the venue and staffing, including astronomers. (The Star Party Coordinators can help you identify local amateur astronomers to partner with.)
- You commit to trying out in advance the educational activities in the Star Party kit, which will be supplied by the Star Party Coordinators, and to using 3 or more activities (out of at least six) at your event.
- You commit to recruiting and training staff and volunteers to work at your event, including how to lead kit activities.
- You agree to pass along communications from the Star Party Coordinators to everyone working the event.
- You agree to send your attendance data after your event.
The North Carolina Science Festival and Statewide Star Party will:
- Provide hosts with a free Star Party kit with educational activities to engage visitors on the theme of “Find Your Way in the Sky.”
- Provide training on kit activities via a webinar as well as an invitation to in-person training.
- Promote events on the Festival website as part of the Festival’s online calendar
- Provide hosts with North Carolina Science Festival branding tools, such as event signage, advertising templates and the North Carolina Science Festival logo for use with print and electronic marketing efforts.
- Create a unique URL for hosts to use to promote the event within their community.
You can apply to be a Star Party event host from November 9 through December 7, 2015. We will be in touch with all applicants by December 15, 2015.
This 21-second time-lapse video shows an example of an entire event, start to finish. (Credit: Joe Pedit, used with permission)
Wondering what materials and activities you will receive as an official Star Party host? Here are last year’s kit materials:
2015 Star Party kit materials for event hosts
- Statewide Star Party poster
- Star chart for April 2015
- Tips for hosting a successful skywatching session
- Web resources
- Activity: Celestial treasure hunt
- Activity: Create a solar system
- Activity: Pocket solar system
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 1 (instructions)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 2 (interpretive cards)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 3 (ticket on Proxima Centauri airlines)
- Activity: Solar system walk – part 4 (handouts for visitors)