What is IMPACTS?
The Inspiring Meaningful Programs and Communication Through Science (IMPACTS) Program is a state-wide public science communication training and outreach initiative funded by the NC GlaxoSmithKline Foundation. IMPACTS provides selected applicants with the opportunity to receive public science communication training for free!
IMPACTS is designed to train scientists in public communication using a nationally acclaimed curriculum along with enabling them to practice and hone their science communication skills.
Who is it for?
We are looking for scientists that represent North Carolina’s diverse population in a variety of STEM-related fields to participate in this prestigious opportunity. Priority will go to underrepresented minorities in STEM fields.
Applicants can be researchers, graduate students, doctoral students, post-doctoral students, or industry scientists in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics.
Please note, strong English speaking skills are required.
- Receive a $1,500 training for free
- Join an elite state-wide network of scientists and science communicators
- Certificate of completion
- Official letter of recognition for CV or portfolio
- Personal consultations on activity design and public outreach efforts
- Assistance in conceptualizing other outreach efforts and broader impact proposals
- Invitations to attend additional professional development opportunities
- Official Morehead Science Ambassadors nametag for use at all outreach events
- Program t-shirt
- Travel stipend
- Tie-dye lab coat
What is the commitment?
Accepted applicants must complete the following in order to become a Morehead Science Impactor:
- Training- Each workshop takes place on Saturdays and only needs to be completed once
- Orientation- ~two hours
- Community Event (Expo) Workshop ~4 hours
- Field Trip (Symposium) Workshop ~ 4 hours
- Classroom Visit (SciMatch) Workshop ~3 hours
- Community Event (Expo) ~4 hours
- Field Trip (Symposium) ~ 4 hours
- Classroom Visit (Novozymes SciMatch) ~ a school day
- All Impactors are paired with an informal educator that assists them in developing a hands-on and engaging activity to aid in communication during their outreach opportunities.
- Activity Development
- These short pre and post evaluations for program and outreach opportunities must be completed
Depending on the location, this program will take roughly a year to complete. Most participants complete this program in 7 months.
How can I apply?
Applications will be available in the spring. Please return to this page in April.
If you have any questions about the IMPACTS program please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org