New for 2021 - Option to purchase kits
The Duke Energy Science Night Program has used an application and selection process to award a limited number of kits (150) at no cost to schools across the state. Since the program began in 2012, demand has skyrocketed to the point where we're only able to award kits to about a third of the schools that apply. We select schools based on the greatest economic need, diversity, and compelling stories from the applicants, but want to expand the reach of this program as broadly as possible.
This year, schools are able to purchase the 2021 Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit for $495*, with a discounted price of $445* for each additional kit purchased by the same school.
*Note that a 7.5% sales tax will also be charged.
What is a Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
Funding from the Duke Energy Foundation allows NCSciFest staff to produce STEM activities and resources for use by elementary schools across the state. Traditionally, schools are encouraged and supported to use the resources to organize and hold a family science night during the month of April, bringing families together as a community to explore the amazing world of science as part of the North Carolina Science Festival.
In light of COVID-19, the NCSciFest team has created a Duke Energy Science Night activity kit that allows flexibility of use for April 2021, with activities that can be used:
- during a traditional science night (if safe to host large gatherings),
- in classrooms during a school science day (if schools are operating under Plan A or B), or
- with students and families virtually (if schools are operating in Plan B or C)
What's included with a 2021 Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
- Ten activities aligned with NC Standards (seven of these hands-on activities include individual materials for 200 students)
- Activity guides (detailed instructions, explanations of the science, and North Carolina connections)
- Activity supplies (the materials needed for 200 students to perform each of the activities)
- Planning guide (helpful instructions on how to organize a science event)
- Unlimited access to downloadable digital resources (including Spanish versions of documents)
- Promotional materials (including a banner, flyer templates, and give-aways to build excitement)
- Instructional webinars (including PD for teachers)
- Email and phone support
- Cost of materials procurement, packing and shipping
How do I apply for a subsidized Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
Applications are closed for subsidized 2021 Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kits.
(Note: The application process for 2022 Kits will likely occur in Aug 2021 to a timeline similar to that for the 2020-2021 program listed below.)
How do I purchase a Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
Orders are now closed for 2021 Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kits.
(Note: The preorder and payment process for 2022 Kits will likely occur in Aug-Sep 2021 to a timeline similar to that for the 2020-2021 program listed below.)
What can I do if I have questions?
Please contact the NCSciFest team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (919-962-3274).
What is the 2020-2021 Duke Energy Science Night Timeline?
- Aug 3 - Sep 4: Preorder period for 2021 activity kits
- Aug 3 - Aug 21: Application period for 150 subsidized activity kits
- Aug 12 - Aug 13: Informational webinars offered
- Aug 28: Schools who applied for subsidized kits notified of status via email
- Aug 31 - Sep 4: Selected schools return subsidized kit acceptance form
- Sep 4: Deadline to preorder kits
- Sep 25: Deadline to submit payment or cancel preorders
- Oct 21: Instructional webinar - Program Overview
- Nov 18: Instructional webinar - Virtual Learning
- Nov 30: Deadline to confirm the date you plan to use the activity kit
- January 2021: Online resources available
- Jan 20: Instructional webinar - Activity and Resources Overview
- February 2021: Kits will ship
- Feb 24: Instructional webinar - Digital Microscope Activity Workshop
- Mar 17: Instructional webinar - Galilean Cannon Activity Workshop
- April 2021: Schools use their Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kits as part of the North Carolina Science Festival
- May 12: Duke Energy Science Night Debrief and Feedback webinar
- May 2021: Deadline to submit evaluation survey
Email us at email@example.com with any questions or for more info!