The North Carolina Science Festival matches dozens of STEM professionals with middle school classrooms around the state in order to facilitate classroom visits that will educate and inspire the next generation of potential scientists!
What is SciMatch?
The SciMatch program accepts applications from all middle school teachers in North Carolina who would like to have a scientist visit and speak with their class. NC Science Festival staff then works to find STEM professionals who are passionate about outreach to pair up with teachers. The majority of our SciMatch scientists have received communications training through our IMPACTS program.
Scientists visit classes during the school year, where they speak with students about their background and research, and lead students in a hands-on activity. The goal of each visit is to inspire your students to consider science as a career and to understand how science impacts our lives.
- Mid August, 2019: Application process begins for 2019 K-12 programs
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Teacher/scientist pairs are made on Oct 1st, Dec 2nd, and Feb 3. Teachers and scientists are notified of their match and begin communicating
- Visit dates should be agreed upon and communicated to NCSF staff within 10 days of being paired
- Visits should occur within 2 months of being paired
Interested in learning more about our SciMatch program? Contact email@example.com for more info!
Applications are closed for 2020 - join our mailing list to be notified when next year's applications are available.
If you are a scientist who is interested in visiting a middle school classroom, please click here to provide your contact information.