What is a Duke Energy Science Night?
A Duke Energy Science Night is an event organized by your school with the support of the NC Science Festival staff and held in conjunction with the NC Science Festival during the month of April 2020. Funding from the Duke Energy Foundation allows the NC Science Festival to produce STEM activities that can be utilized by elementary schools across the state as they hold family science nights - a great way to bring families together to explore the amazing world of science!
150 schools have been selected to receive a Duke Energy Science Night kit, which includes:
- A planning guide (helpful instructions on how to organize this event)
- An activity binder (instructions for 10 fun, hands-on science activities)
- All the materials needed for 200 participants to perform the activities
- Promotional materials, including a stuffed Kelvin the Spokesbot!
- Unlimited access to downloadable digital resources (including a materials list, the planning guide, activity guides, instruction sheets, table cards, Spanish translations of all documents, and instructional videos.)
- Email and phone support as needed!
Schools that were not selected to receive a kit can access the downloadable digital resources noted above. Schools that elect to use these resources to hold an event in April 2020 will also receive the email and phone support and be listed as an official Duke Energy Science Night.
Mid August, 2019: Online application process begins for 2020 DESN kits
September 30, 2019: Online application closes at midnight
End October, 2019: Selected schools are notified via email
November 15, 2019: Deadline for selected schools to confirm acceptance of their kit
November 30, 2019: Deadline for schools to confirm date and time of their event
Mid February, 2020: Kits are shipped to selected schools
April 2020*: Schools host their Duke Energy Science Nights
Early May, 2020: Deadline for DESN schools to submit post-event evaluations
*Note that starting in 2020 we are asking all schools to hold their events during the month of April to align with the NC Science Festival calendar.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more info!