Support from the Duke Energy Foundation allows the North Carolina Science Festival (part of the UNC Morehead Planetarium and Science Center) to produce the STEM activities and materials that will be sent at no cost to 170 schools across the state. Duke Energy Science Nights are just part of the events comprising the NC Science Festival, a month-long celebration of science that occurs every April. They are a great way to bring families together to explore the amazing world of science!
What is a Duke Energy Science Night?
A Duke Energy Science Night is an event organized by your school with the support of the NC Science Festival staff. It can be held after school, at night, or on a weekend - whatever date and time works best for your school during the month of March or April 2019.
For the 170 selected schools, Duke Energy Science Night kits include:
- A planning guide (what schools need to know to organize this event)
- An activity binder with instructions for 10 fun, hands-on science activities
- All the materials needed for 200 participants to perform the activities
- Promotional materials, including Kelvin the Spokesbot!
- Unlimited access to downloadable digital materials (including a materials list, the planning guide, activity guides, instruction sheets, table cards, Spanish translations of all documents, and instructional videos.)
- Email and phone support as needed!
Schools that are not selected to receive a kit will still receive access to the downloadable digital materials noted above, as well as email and phone support. Schools that elect to use these materials can still hold an official Duke Energy Science Night during the month of March or April 2019.
Mid August, 2018: Online application process begins for 2019 DESN Kits
September 30, 2018: Online application closes at midnight
Mid October, 2018: Selected schools are notified via email
October 31, 2018: Deadline for selected schools to confirm acceptance via email
November 30, 2018: Deadline for selected schools to confirm date and time of their event via email
Early February, 2019: Kits are shipped to selected schools
March-April 2019: Selected schools host Duke Energy Science Nights for their students
Early May, 2019: Deadline for DESN schools to submit post-event evaluations
Interested in learning more about our Duke Energy Science Night program?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!