Apply for a North Carolina Science Festival Event Sponsorship
The North Carolina Science Festival is offering event sponsorships of up to $1,000 each for the April 2018 NC Science Festival. Festival planners anticipate making up to 15 awards.
The Festival is offering funds to support a select group of community events themed around STEM and happening during the month-long celebration. This is one way we hope to better support our partners and strengthen our exciting suite of public programs for the people of North Carolina.
There are four major points of emphasis for Festival programming:
- Fun and engaging elements
- New or exclusive access to research areas or experts
- Demonstration of how aspects of STEM are connected to our daily lives
- Celebrating careers in STEM
Priority of event sponsorships will be given to events that:
- Meet one or more of the major points of emphasis listed above
- Engage diverse community audiences
- Expand the Festival’s overall footprint
Additionally for 2018, we are seeking to support events that:
- Connect experts to the general public
- Extend the Festival's impact beyond the month of April
- Incorporate our 2018 theme of Food & Drink
Eligibility: Event producer/partner with a track record of creating high quality science education events for North Carolina audiences, inclusive of non-profit organizations and/or STEM companies. Partners may apply for up to $1,000.
How to apply: Email your proposed event details via PDF attachment to email@example.com. Requirements for submissions are below.
- Deadline to apply: December 1, 2017, 5 p.m.
- Sponsored events will be notified of awards by December 15, 2017
- The maximum sponsorship amount that can be applied for is $1,000.
- Funds will be dispersed in February 2018.
Requirements for event funds:
- Event must be offered at least once during April 2018.
- Event must be free of charge to attendees.
- If selected, finalized event details and description must be submitted by January 12, 2018, along with a signed letter of agreement.
- Event hosts must agree to promote the Festival, adhere to Festival branding guidelines and to use Festival materials leading up to and during the event.
- Event Hosts must use Festival evaluation tools.
- After event: Event Hosts must submit an expense report, return any unspent funds, and submit evaluation results as requested by the Festival evaluator by May 4, 2018.
Submission Requirements via PDF:
- EVENT ORGANIZER’S STATEMENT: Brief description of your organization and its involvement with STEM education. How does the proposed event support the organization’s mission? (Limit: 250 words)
- EVENT PROPOSAL: One-page document detailing the proposed event. Is pre-registration required for participants? What other organizations, if any, will be involved in the event? (Limit: 500 words)
- STATEMENT DESCRIBING HOW FUNDS WILL BE SPENT: What is the overall cost (estimated) to present the event, and what amount is the organization requesting for the sponsorship? Please provide details about how funds will be spent. (Limit: 250 words)
Deadline to apply is December 1, 2017, 5 p.m.
Please send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Selection Committee will be looking at the following criteria:
- Does the event occur during the Festival?
- Is the event free to the public or a targeted subset of the public (like teens, seniors, etc.)?
- Is the event a special program that occurs only during the NC Science Festival?
If yes to all three, then:
- Quality of proposed event. For example: Is the event fun and hands-on, or if not, does it provide unique access to aspects of science (i.e. behind-the-scenes tours, interaction with experts, etc.)?
- STEM aspect of proposed event. Does the event have the potential to teach (or demonstrate to) the public something exciting and/or new about STEM? Or, does the event serve to raise the awareness of how STEM is connected to our everyday lives and/or provide an opportunity to learn about STEM careers?
- Project Plan. Does organizer demonstrate ability to produce proposed event?
- Audience impact. Does the event have a potential to serve a large number of people?
- Geographic Impact. Is the event in a region of the state where we’d like to have more events?
Questions? Please contact Jonathan Frederick, NC Science Festival director, at 919-843-8329.
Last year, the 2017 Event Sponsorship Program grants supported the following great events:
4th Annual Community Day - Carolinas Aviation Museum
6th Annual Burlington Maker Faire - Alamance Makers Guild
Art "Full" of Science - Hands On!
Ask the Astronaut - Schiele Museum of Natural History
Come Build with Us at HPU! – High Point University
Diving Into Water: Why and How We Keep It Clean – NC Estuarium
El Día de los Niños Buildfest - Coltrane-Webb STEM Magnet School
Family Science Day and 5K Race for the Planet - NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher
Interpreting the Night Sky - NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
Middle and High School STEM Day – Sylvan Heights Bird Park
Nature Designs Art Festival – Raven Rock State Park
Playhouse Buildfest - The Children's Playhouse
Science Extravaganza - Greensboro Science Center
Science in the Movies: Mental Health & Mental Illness - Science Communicators of NC
SciVisit – Gaston College
STEM Career Fair – Mountain View Intermediate School
STEM Mobile Fest - Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle
STEM Open House - Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
Super Science FunFest - Fascinate- U Children's Museum
Telescope Making Workshop – A Time for Science
The Artistic Side of Science: An Evening with Dr. David Goodsell - Wake Technical Community College
The Science of Art and the Art of Science at the Azalea Festival – Cape Fear Museum
Triangle SciTech Expo – NC Museum of Natural Sciences
WeatherWorks Extravaganza – Imagination Station