Apply for a North Carolina Science Festival Event Sponsorship
The North Carolina Science Festival is offering event sponsorships of up to $1,000 each for the April 2019 NC Science Festival. Festival planners anticipate making up to 15 awards.
The Festival is offering funds to support a select group of community events themed around STEM and happening during the month-long celebration. This is one way we hope to better support our partners and strengthen our exciting suite of public programs for the people of North Carolina.
There are four major points of emphasis for Festival programming:
- Fun and engaging elements
- New or exclusive access to research areas or experts
- Demonstration of how aspects of STEM are connected to our daily lives
- Celebrating careers in STEM
Priority of event sponsorships will be given to events that:
- Meet one or more of the major points of emphasis listed above
- Engage diverse community audiences
- Expand the Festival’s overall footprint
Additionally for 2019, we are seeking to support events that:
- Connect experts to the general public
- Extend the Festival's impact beyond the month of April
- Incorporate our 2019 theme: Made in North Carolina
Event producer/partner with a track record of creating high quality science education events for North Carolina audiences, inclusive of non-profit organizations and/or STEM companies. Partners may apply for up to $1,000.
How to apply:
Submit the online application form (available soon). Requirements for submissions are below.
- Deadline to apply: November 30, 2018, 5 p.m.
- Sponsored events will be notified of awards by December 14, 2018
- The maximum sponsorship amount that can be applied for is $1,000.
- Funds will be disbursed in February 2019.
Requirements for event funds:
- Event must be offered at least once during April 2019.
- Event must be free of charge to attendees.
- If selected, finalized event details and description must be submitted by January 11, 2019, along with a signed letter of agreement.
- Event hosts must agree to promote the Festival, adhere to Festival branding guidelines and to use Festival materials leading up to and during the event.
- Event Hosts must use Festival evaluation tools.
- After event: Event Hosts must submit an expense report, return any unspent funds, and submit evaluation results as requested by the Festival evaluator by May 3, 2019.
- EVENT ORGANIZER’S STATEMENT: Brief description of your organization and its involvement with STEM education. How does the proposed event support the organization’s mission? (Limit: 250 words)
- EVENT PROPOSAL: Description of the proposed event. Is pre-registration required for participants? What other organizations, if any, will be involved in the event? (Limit: 500 words)
- STATEMENT DESCRIBING HOW FUNDS WILL BE SPENT: What is the overall cost (estimated) to present the event, and what amount is the organization requesting for the sponsorship? Please provide details about how funds will be spent. (Limit: 250 words)
Deadline to apply is November 30, 2018, 5 p.m.
The Selection Committee will be looking at the following criteria:
- Does the event occur during the Festival?
- Is the event free to the public or a targeted subset of the public (like teens, seniors, etc.)?
- Is the event a special program that occurs only during the NC Science Festival?
If yes to all three, then:
- Quality of proposed event. For example: Is the event fun and hands-on, or if not, does it provide unique access to aspects of science (i.e. behind-the-scenes tours, interaction with experts, etc.)?
- STEM aspect of proposed event. Does the event have the potential to teach (or demonstrate to) the public something exciting and/or new about STEM? Or, does the event serve to raise the awareness of how STEM is connected to our everyday lives and/or provide an opportunity to learn about STEM careers?
- Project Plan. Does organizer demonstrate ability to produce proposed event?
- Audience impact. Does the event have a potential to serve a large number of people?
- Geographic Impact. Is the event in a region of the state where we’d like to have more events?
Questions? Please contact Jonathan Frederick, NC Science Festival director, at 919-843-8329.
Last year, the 2018 Event Sponsorship Program grants supported the following great events:
Cabarrus County Schools - City Science Stroll
Cape Fear Museum - NC Azalea Festival: Taste the Science
Carolinas Aviation Museum - Community Day
Children's Museum of Wilmington - Edible Science
Fascinate-U Children's Museum - Super Science FunFest
Greensboro Science Center - Science Extravaganza
Hands On! - Science Chefs STEM Program
Isothermal Community College - Isothermal Science & Technology Expo
Kidzu Children's Museum - EATsploration
Love A Sea Turtle - Be A Water CycLAST!
Macon County Public Library - Family Science Night
NC Museum of Natural Sciences - Triangle SciTech Expo
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College - STEM Open House
RTP Charitable Fund - STEM Expo
Surry Community College - Buzz-Fest: A Celebration of Pollinators
Sylvan Heights Bird Park - Earth Day Celebration
The Children's Playhouse - Playhouse BuildFest